Saturday, July 14, 2018

Team World Vision

In 2007, Mark and I traveled to Haiti with a group from our church. It was there God broke our hearts for the poor and showed us His heart for the least of these.  Out of this trip, the desire to adopt was born and in 2008, Ruby, our daughter, came home from Ethiopia.

Over the course of the year, Ruby's severe needs became evident and we grieved. It was a tough time, but slowly we began to find a new normal; we discovered God's peace in the midst of chaos. Amazing friends and family supported us during this crazy time.  God used His people to surround us and show us His faithfulness and provision.

Even so, over the years after Ruby came home, I dealt with some lingering anxiety. It wasn't bad, but often this nagging, anxious feeling accompanied me. It would creep in at odd, quiet times, causing my heart to pound and mind to race. I did seek some counseling and that was helpful, but it didn't go away completely.

About this time, Mark starting running with Ruby. At first it was just to get in shape again, but after awhile it became a sweet thing he could do with her. In 2016 he decided to push her in the Riverbank 25K with an organization called My Team Triumph. I proudly cheered them on, all the while thinking I should be out there with them.

So, when it came time to start training for the 2017 Riverbank 25K, I registered for the race and began running. I hadn't really run much since before having kids (8 years before this) so I started slow. But little by little, my body got stronger and I found myself enjoying the process. Even though we were in a hard season with Ruby, I found God working in my heart though the training.  God used running to ease my anxiety and help me to focus more on Him.



A year later, when Kelly, a World Vision rep came to Calvary to share what Team World Vision was doing, I was immediately intrigued.  All across the nation, Team World Vision members run road races while raising money and awareness for kids and communities in Africa who need clean water.  Things I was passionate about were coming together.  This would be a way I could give back after being on the receiving end of so much help for several years. I felt God nudging me to be a part of this.

On October 21, I will be running the Grand Rapids Half Marathon with Team World Vision. I am honored to be able to raise funds for World Vision to bring clean water to children in Africa. Nearly 1,000 kids under age 5 die every day from diarrhea caused by contaminated water, poor sanitation and improper hygiene. But, this global crisis could be solved within our lifetime. $50 bring clean water to one person. I have a goal to raise enough money to bring clean water to 60 kids. Will you partner with me? Will you sponsor me to run this half marathon so more kids can have access to clean water?
I appreciate your support!

Donate Here


No comments: